[Ground-station] Project Report - Substantial forward progress, and immediate needs

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 10:04:14 PDT 2022

Weekly Report 22 April 2022

Community Support

We have been asked to help an established open source DVB-S2 project with
software programming. This sort of thing is why we were founded. It's a
privilege to be able to solve problems in high-tech amateur radio. Our
mission is to help individuals and organizations take full advantage of
modern communications protocols and techniques. We do this in a free and
open source manner. We look forward to publicizing the results of the work
in the near future.

FPGA work for Transponder

The weekly FPGA meetup video can be found here:

https://youtu.be/7GPittVw2Ck

Substantial progress with modcod agility. The implementation on the PLUTO
is working over the air.

Remote Labs UK is bringing up the encoder on their hardware (zc706/ADRV9371)

Remote Labs West added the SR-1 Pro to the lab. The how-to-use video can be
found here:

https://youtu.be/pWAz7GnuXJ8

Goal: end-to-end demo over the air for DEFCON in mid-August 2022.

HDL Coder is stalled out with FPGA-in-the-Loop throwing an error at the
final stage. Mathworks support has been contacted. The error occurs in
three different contexts. We suspect it must be a known problem that we
will be able to mitigate. The error message is not specific enough for
Remote Lab staff to narrow it down.

M17 Support

Matlab script for M17 encoding reviewed and items that need work have been
identified. This feeds into HDL Coder for end-to-end demo support.

Two talks about the forward error correction in M17 will happen. The first
is on 3 May 2022 at University of San Diego and the second will happen on 4
May 2022 as a joint event hosted by Palomar Amateur Radio Club and IEEE
Information Theory Society. There will be a video recording of the
presentation.

M17 will be at Friedrichshafen this summer, at IMS2023 next year, and
everywhere else we can get a toehold for this exciting and innovative work.

YouTube Channel
If you have not already subscribed to the channel, please do.

https://www.youtube.com/c/OpenResearchInstituteInc

FCC TAC AI/ML
We summarized the Wednesday AI/ML meeting on Twitter. Root of thread is
here:

https://twitter.com/OpenResearchIns/status/1516871975842369538

We were given permission to publish recordings of the FCC TAC working group
and sub-working group AI/ML meetings.

The first video can be found here:

https://youtu.be/F82Zt3NYTlk

Fundraising

Taking large grants "only" is dangerous for a 501(c)(3) under current IRS
law. If we are to continue as a 501(c)(3), we need to have a third of our
funding come from small donors. We are doing all we can to achieve this,
but given the current landscape in amateur radio, this is very difficult.
If you have fundraising experience, then we need you. We have a plan and
need more human resources. If you know of a Private Foundation that would
accept ORI as a Private Operating Foundation, then get in touch. This would
be a valid and weclome solution.

If you just want to let us know you like what we do, let us know. ORI is
run entirely by volunteers and your feedback makes a positive difference to
all of us doing, and enabling, the work.

ori at openresearch.institute

-Michelle Thompson