[Ground-station] MATLAB training in the works + Effect on Remote Labs South

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 11:41:29 PDT 2022

Greetings all!

Here's the public outreach note for ORI MATLAB training (included below).
I'm working hard on making this work well for as broad a community as
possible. Custom training for amateur radio is a benefit of ORI getting
into the Startup program at MATLAB.

Thank you to everyone at ORI that helped make that possible. We should and
will take full advantage of the things we have access to in this program in
order to provide direct benefits to the open source amateur radio
community.

Please pass the word around about this training opportunity.

We do have a training budget of ~25k USD from the grant ARDC has given us
for P4DX. Due to COVID-19, the training we anticipated sending volunteers
to was canceled, and is still not available.

We've worked around this, and preserved the capital.

We have talked about using this training budget to build the physical plant
for Remote Labs South. The reason we are looking at re-allocating this
training budget is because ARDC has yet to respond to an ARDC-authored
grant request for the unexpected Remote Labs East-South move. Remote Labs
South has an operational VM server and has begun to field hardware. Full
operation, in line with what Remote Labs West and Remote Labs UK is
currently doing, cannot happen without construction of a dedicated building.

As an organization and a community, we have to figure out how to enable
both quickly and well.

Details about the proposed training plan (what we know so far) will be in
the weekly report, along with cost ranges.

-Michelle Thompson

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Interested in training from MATLAB customized for the Amateur Satellite
Service? Open Research Institute is building a program with Mathworks and
will offer it to the community. We need (some) underwriting, an indication
of interest, and feedback on the outline. Timeframe is summer 2022. Topics
will be: Algorithm design for DSP for FPGA for space, how Simulink can make
space comms easier for amateurs, what's available in ORI's remote lab for
amateur radio space experimenters, and more. If you have ever felt like the
cutting edge of communications R&D was far away for amateur radio, then
rest assured it is not. To get updates? Join the mailing list at
https://openresearch.institute and follow the link for Getting Started.