[Ground-station] weekly project report

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 09:37:24 PDT 2021

# Weekly Project Report for Open Research Institute

## submit your reports!

### San Bernardino Microwave Society report

Plan was to present at SBMS meeting 2 September 2021. Due to some a/v
challenges at the meeting, our presentation was made during the social hour
after the meeting. Brief update about ORI's work was made, lots of great
questions answered, and a speaker invited to our Space and Satellite
Symposium on 30 October 2021. We've been asked to submit an article for the
SBMS newsletter.

### Regulatory

Successful Regulatory Results for Open Source Amateur Satellite Work

On 2 September, 2021, Open Research Institute (ORI) received an advisory
opinion from US Commerce Department BIS.

The letter confirmed that posting information on the internet so that it is
available to the public means that open source amateur satellite
communications work is not subject to the Export Administration Regulation
(EAR). Prior work by ORI established that open source amateur satellite
communications work was free of International Traffic in Arms Regulations
(ITAR).

This is a significant regulatory success for open source amateur satellite
work and open source in general.

Work was funded by ARDC and executed by Open Research Institute. Legal
assistance was provided by Thomsen and Burke LLP.

All documents and links to presentations about the work are freely
available at
https://github.com/phase4ground/documents/tree/master/Regulatory

*Thank you so much* to everyone that has helped with this. We should not
understate or underestimate how important this is for open source amateur
satellite organizations like ORI to continue freely operating.

### AmbaSat Inspired Sensors

Demonstration of a candidate device for 10GHz beacon addition:
https://youtu.be/x-2Hm6uWETY

This is the HB100 breakout board.

### OSI new Executive Director

https://opensource.org/news/osi-executive-director

ORI will be taking advantage of the office hours and look forward continued
positive experiences as an OSI affiliate member.

### Space and Satellite Symposium - Amateur Radio and Information Theory

Planning progress and CFP at
https://www.openresearch.institute/space-and-satellite-symposium-the-role-of-information-theory-in-space-with-special-emphasis-on-amateur-radio-and-amateur-satellite/

Volunteer signup at https://forms.gle/DZbtKGB4WzCTfWKv7

Registration open at https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/280774

Thank you to IEEE Information Theory Society San Diego Chapter for hosting
this event. Additional co-hosts from Computer Society and Aerospace Society
are in the works, and an application has been made to designate the event
as an Information Theory Society co-sponsored event. There are no
proceedings for this event. All talks will be recorded and available to
registrants after the event concludes.

### Xilinx Adapt

Some of us are attending Xilinx Adapt conference. Comments and discussion
on #general Slack channel. Large increase in the use of open source, DSP
support, ease of use, and optimization for modern use cases.

### IEEE Space Computing Conference

Slides and discussion on our #general Slack channel. A wide variety of
excellent work that has relevance to what we are all interested in. Several
proofs of concepts presented, and several talks about hardware either
already in space or manifested for upcoming launches.

### Participation in Grant Writing for YOSA (RATPAC initiative)

ORI is participating in and supporting the grant writing process for Youth
on Satellite Activity, coordinated through RATPAC (Radio Amateur Training
and Activities Committee). This initiative leverages the existing,
successful, and ongoing University of Puerto Rico rocket and payload
program (NASA Wallops) to create a scale-able youth amateur satellite
educational experience. Contact RATPAC to be a part of this effort.
https://sites.google.com/view/ratpac

### ESA ARTES SDR MakerSpace Presentations

A series of excellent presentations about the work done at Libre Space
Foundation's SDR MakerSpace was presented 6-8 September 2021. The
presentations were in coordination with and the work sponsored and
supported by ESA ARTES. Recordings will be made available by Libre Space
shortly. Description of the event available here:
https://www.uska.ch/fr/sdr-makerspace-online-presentation-esa/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=sdr-makerspace-online-presentation-esa