[Ground-station] Narratives on partnered missions in amateur satellite service

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Tue May 11 16:36:46 PDT 2021

Greetings all!

Yesterday I met with Byron Betts and Adilia Koch from Caltech to discuss
ORI regulatory work that allows the use of open source carve-outs for
satellite research and development.

This work can be found here:
https://github.com/phase4ground/documents/tree/master/Regulatory

Their primary challenge is how to best integrate NASA, JPL, and open source
educational missions in the same operating center, given the very different
regulatory environments.

We discussed the general history of amateur radio satellite service, where
we are today, the particular results from ORI's regulatory work, and the
limitations of the findings. They were appreciative of our work.

It's likely we'll meet again.

Action item for me was "can you provide a list or brief narratives on
previous working partners in the amateur radio satellite service?" This is
in progress, and I'm reaching out for help.

There have been quite a few. For example, Virginia Tech and the camera
system for AMSAT-NA Fox, Vanderbilt and radiation sensing. Phase 4A and
Es'Hail + Mitsubishi, Phase 4B and the Air Force Wide Field of View.
HuskySat, CatSat, and many more.

What missions or projects should be included on this list? Respond here or
send me a direct reply. I'm trying to get it back to them within the week!

Thank you,