[Ground-station] Question for ORI:

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Wed Mar 31 22:05:17 PST 2021

Pretty much all of the small satellite groups are interested in LORA and
are telegraphing future missions, and we have the FossaSAT-1 mission, which
although incorrectly implemented (and the firmware was not updatable) they
claim to have received LORA packets.

The sole advantage of LORA is that there are cheap chips available. As
we've heard, it doesn't have the best data link performance. The problem
for us is these two patents: US7791415
<https://patents.google.com/patent/US7791415>, EP2763321
<https://patents.google.com/patent/EP2763321A1>. They place all of our
non-Semtech implementations in danger, and Pierros recently mentioned that
Semtech doesn't respond when asked about them.

If I had my 'druthers, someone more skilled than me would be sitting down
to make an open data link implementation built on some cheap microprocessor
and we would not have to deal with those folks and their patents.

I suggest that this be an experimental pathfinder on some future satellite,
not part of the main mission. Fly the Semtech chip and do a better
implementation than the FossaSAT folks, and see what you can get out of it.
After that, a greater effort might be justified.

    Thanks

    Bruce

    Thanks

    Bruce

--
Bruce Perens - CEO at stealth startup. I'll tell you what it is eventually
:-)