[Ground-station] Update on Wally Ritchie and P4XT work

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 09:37:37 PDT 2021

Greetings all!

As you all know, Wally Ritchie, our Principal Investigator for the
transponder (P4XT) has been battling AML (leukemia) since Christmas, when
he was diagnosed.

He recently got a clean biopsy result (super good news), but the
chemotherapy protocol continues. He will be out of action for a bit longer.

He's responded as well as anyone would hope. All the lab results are good.
He's working hard on a management plan and wants everyone to know how much
he wants to return to "active duty".

While I have been able to do some helpful things, I am no replacement for
Wally. My time is mostly spent removing roadblocks and finding resources
for volunteers. There's been a lot of that lately.

However, I (and a few others) have gone from "atrophy" to "not bad" on FPGA
platforms, and my ambition is to do verification and validation for any
work we want to publish. That's what I have done successfully in the past,
I really enjoy it, and I want to help do this for us.

The message from Wally is "hang in there" and "NUTS" and some other spicy
comments about kicking ass.

Our next demonstration opportunities are in August 2021. We have begun
conversations on that and those conversations will continue this week.