[Ground-station] Sounding Rockets and FPGAs - at a University

Leffke, Zachary zleffke at vt.edu
Wed Apr 7 18:20:01 PDT 2021

Hi Michelle,
Good questions, and definitely need to clarify a few points.  Again, normal disclaimer of this is just my perspective (and apologies again for long winded emails, I care!).

Short(er) version first, with direct answers (in red) to Michele’s questions:
I think this means we have to look like, or comply with the requirements of, sponsored research from the commercial sector - in order to get any student time at all? Not necessarily, it’s a matter of specific objectives, scope, specific personalities involved, and managing expectations at both sides.  I was just offering ‘sponsored research’ as way to have more of a guaranteed return on investment, via more formal relationships than a $0 MOU (with lots of VT heavy examples, due to my obvious bias, but this might also be useful for contracting services from other groups as well).  This is one way to get guaranteed ‘research faculty time and attention on your project’ which can be a ‘force multiplier’ of sorts in terms of student engagement in addition to actually doing professional grade work.

The people responsible for the GEO effort a few years ago are at ORI. Yup!

We've grown since then, and added expertise, raised 5x the funding, and have results. Agreed!  Sort of linked with your last question below (for added context to what follows) VT doesn’t have to be the ‘only’ partner for large scope missions (like GEO).  An ORI lead effort, where those results from the dedicated volunteers can be leveraged, with VT maybe taking on things like systems engineering for a specific vehicle/platform, dealing with launch constraints and launch vehicle integration, payload integration, fabrication, testing, would certainly be a decent way to go.  I personally want to do more ‘RF and comms stuff’, but if that work went to some other university and we just did the ‘other AOE type stuff’ that has to get done for a full mission, then very well!  This also doesn’t have to be all ‘ORI’ funding situation either, VT (and other universities, formally engaged) can add a ‘flavor’ to proposals to other groups to drum up more $$ support, either in the form of sub-contractors to ORI or as co-PIs.  One might Argue that MORE universities in the mix makes for stronger ‘joint proposals.’

The donation you describe - is this the $100,000 paid to Millenium Space Systems for the engineering review? That worked, because the design was (and is, in its present form) useful and of high quality. It was not a surprise that it passed the review. No.  $100k to MSS came from AMSAT and was not a donation to them, and was not what I was referring to.  That was an engineering fee to support the study to determine if MSS/Air Force increased mission scope to include a secondary Amateur Radio payload would that payload represent a potential negative impact to the primary Air Force mission.  I’m talking of a separate donation to VT from a specific donor (FA) that funded our research faculty time commitment, and the grad students/undergrads involved, to actually develop the PDR level design under the MSS constraints, to engage with MSS to support their study and make them confident we would be ‘no impact’.  We designed in parallel with learning/understanding the constraints of their system/mission in order to essentially tailor the design to a ‘no impact to primary mission’ result.  And that was only the ‘initial’ result…..had the program continued there were a lot more ‘gates’ to get through that we were prepared to tackle, (like getting to CDR, passing subsystem tests, integration tests, flight readiness reviews, etc……essentially ‘proving’ that we would be ‘no impact’).

Was this engineering study the only work product? I would argue no.  Two primary results (maybe three, and then a 4th for VT).  1) The MSS design study, and the approval from them/Air Force to fly (I think demonstrating this is huge, and harkens back to early OSCARs on NRO launch vehicles).  2) the actual PDR-level design. 3) all the excitement, effort, and commitment from so many folks involved lead to the founding of ORI, woot! (not one of the original goals, but I would argue still a useful end result).  4) Tack on to that, a LOT of student (and faculty) experience was gained from that effort (its valuable to us for a student to hear what a company, gov’t group, or other customer might ask questions about during a review process….similar to, but also somehow very different from what might be asked during a Master’s defense), leading to internships and employment based on efforts during that work (but that’s understandably more important to VT than maybe to ORI/AMSAT….again, clarity in our institutional goals I think is key to future success….we for example will ALWAYS have a baked in student focused bias for anything we engage on, big or small, sponsored or under $0 MOU).

If so, then is it fair to say that we have to come up with a lot more funding in order to work with VT? Depends on what we are talking about, but again, not necessarily.  If we are talking about GEO level end goals, and you want professional engineers (research faculty, with student support) adapting the PDR-level design to say a NOAA GOES satellite, carrying through to CDR, to Flight Readiness, to Integration, etc. and working with ORI volunteers to take their work and integrate it into the system, and you don’t want to tolerate ‘more than normal’ program risk for such a mission, etc. etc. than yeah that might require significant funding.  That doesn’t mean ORI has to ‘come up with the money’ though.  I think we would be willing to work with ORI for such an effort to drum up the money via other funding sources (maybe ARDC, maybe NSF/NASA, or any number of groups).  Remember we only got to PDR with that design……so moving on to CDR and beyond for a specific flight would take some doing, and for the WFOV/GEO mission there was the small detail of coming up with $5 million to defray launch costs (may not be a requirement for other future GEO efforts, but $5 million to get to GEO is arguably ‘very cheap’, especially for a system where the secondary payload doesn’t have to manage the overall platform’s health, staying inside a ‘geo box’, worrying about deorbit/graveyard orbit and other SSA concerns, etc.).  So I would state it more like: ‘The VT/ORI team would have to come up with plans for more funding for ambitious joint efforts” (like GEO, and ‘VT/ORI team’ could be modified to include a lot of other groups).  If on the other hand we are talking about smaller focused efforts, on specific tasks, some funding would certainly help research faculty stay engaged more and serve as ‘force multipliers’ for ORI.  And if ORI is willing to accept significant risk, we volunteer our free time as often as we can to supervise student projects…..that’s more of a risk though in that we might have to sacrifice focus there in the interest of the sponsored programs that ‘pay the bills’.  I think they key is being open, honest, and transparent with each other about expectations.

Finally, everything I just talked about is related to keeping faculty engaged on ORI related projects (because that’s where my bias lies in terms of ‘getting stuff done’, and why I keep caveating with ‘my two cents’ and IMHO phrases)…….there are other ways to engage with the University at levels that are well above my pay grade, but could represent significant value to both groups…..I don’t REALLY know what I’m talking about here, but maybe one over simplified example of what I’m trying to express is ‘launch opportunities.’  As a second example, ITAR and sometimes even classified stuff may still be a thing ORI has to confront if they want to keep all options open, and Universities (not just VT, but we’re on the list too) might be positioned to help……As an example where both of those two things come together:  CalPoly for example handles smallsat integration on NRO launch vehicles, AMSAT launched FOX-1A on an NRO vehicle, no AMSAT volunteer on that project had to get a clearance, they got their seat through ElaNa and somethings did happen behind closed doors…but the Fox-1A plans are all published.  Other opportunities might require that kind of flavor (like secondary payloads on Air Force satellites)……….(again I’m probably over simplifying this, which is why I say its above my pay grade…..but the opportunities are there).

All of the above was the ‘short version’.  Keep reading if still interested (and still awake, thanks to all that made it this far).

1.       To get student time at all question.  This does NOT necessarily require funding all the time (from a VT point of view).  We advise projects all the time on a volunteer basis, and sometimes we have overhead funds that can support faculty time (kind of like IRAD funds).  What is DOES mean is that expectations need to be managed on both sides and the level of ‘control’ from an ORI perspective might not be the same as can be expected from something like a sponsored research program (where they would be treated like a formal ‘customer’).  It also means the specific individuals involved and their ability to ‘commit’ needs to be at least discussed up front (along with all the grand ideas)…..I for example am guilty of being very eager to say ‘yes’ to a project, especially if it is specifically RF focused, regardless of other commitments on my time (which is NOT a good time management thing, and can lead to less than spectacular results, despite my initial optimism).  Other colleagues of mine are typically better (IMHO) about when to say yes or no to taking something on as volunteer effort.  Point is, ‘personalities’ and specific rank within the university and ability to control one’s own schedule need to be factored into go/go no decisions.  There is also the semesterly ‘cycle’ that needs to be factored in for the overall schedule, particularly if we want to set up something like a course credit project for students (this also applies to sponsored programs though).  This is all in contrast to sponsored research where you can expected hard deliverables and better overall program management and tracking of the project.

2.       If ORI had a structure that could formally sponsor funded research efforts, that might make it easier to ‘own the work’.  If ORI then elects to publish all that work, or makes publication a requirement of the work (or posting code via Github as a contract deliverable, etc.), they certainly would have that power.  As a University, I don’t think you would have any arguments from us on that front, students and faculty need to publish (there is some nuance there though, if using proprietary IP cores on FPGAs as just one example, that might have some constraints we can’t get out of).  I’m no contracting expert, but formal ‘sponsored research’ comes with a lot of overhead for the folks spending the money (right, you would essentially be paying for my salary, health insurance, university gets a cut to put in their coffers, etc. etc.).  There are other mechanisms, that short circuit that (like donations) but those also come with tradeoffs (like you can’t put ‘deliverables’ on a donation…..but again, ways around that one….we can choose to ‘deliver’ things on our own, give credit/thanks to the donor that sponsored the effort, and get things out in the world for all to see/use…….much like publications coming out of academic grants).  Whether that’s worth the effort is a strategy question for ORI.

3.       The donation I was referring to is NOT the MSS $100k.  AMSAT-NA paid $100k to MSS for the design study, not to VT.  A separate donor paid significant $$ to VT for the actual design/integration work.  I think roughly $50k-$100k, but am not 100% sure, again I never actually charged to that fund and volunteered my time to make room for other research faculty and students.  The VT money was through a donation to the VT Foundation, which is more like a grant, not a contract, which is why ‘legally’ we could do whatever we wanted and didn’t have a formal customer, but what we actually did was treat AMSAT as a ‘customer’, and got the $0 MOU in place between AMSAT/VT to solidify that, so that AMSAT would be confident they weren’t wasting a $100k to MSS, and the donor would be confident they weren’t wasting their money to VT.  Essentially, the pots of money were for the same thing at two organizations, professional engineers tackling the problem.  The money to MSS was so that their engineers could take the time to consider the impact of such a ‘secondary payload’ to the overall Air Force mission and to work with us (right, we asked them to increase overall mission scope, which requires risk analysis, engineering support, etc.).  The money to VT was so that our research faculty could work on the problems as well with focused effort leading toward a PDR level design (with significant student support), meaning GEO goals were part of our daily work load (and not a side project).  The difference from this to #1 above is that faculty were the LEAD researchers with students supporting/learning by doing, rather than #1 above where its more like students are the lead researchers, with faculty just advising from the side (due to time constraints).  The success of the FalconSAT program out of the Air Force Academy is a similar example, that’s mostly full time faculty (including something like 5 full time research faculty, in addition to the academic faculty) driving the train and retaining the ‘institutional knowledge’ with students along for the ride.

4.       The two major outcomes (in my opinion) were 1) Approval from Air Force, (because MSS, the bus manufacturer and lead integrator for the overall mission, approved) to fly an Amateur Radio secondary payload on an Air Force GEO bird and 2) a PDR level design for an Amateur GEO payload based on the AstroSDR.

a.       To be clear, when we started the GEO effort, we did not have an actual completed design that we just had to ‘fit to their bus.’  We started with a lot of ideas and possibilities, and then crystallized all of that down into a PDR-level design that was likely to be approved by MSS and by extension the Air Force.  For those not directly involved, the final ‘moment’ that actually mattered was when Millennium Space Systems was conducting a review with the Air Force (much much further along than PDR for their mission), and advocated on our behalf that an Amateur Radio Secondary payload, added to the mission ot this stage, would provide ‘no impact’ to the primary Air Force mission……we were invited to that call as a courtesy and spoke 0 words……later we got feedback from the Air Force (via MSS) that their response was essentially ‘agreed.’……..With that approval in hand, we then held a separate PDR-level review with AMSAT where the customers were essentially Marc Franco, Michelle, Jerry Buxton, and Barry Baines (and a few others, like Mike Parker from Rincon was there) where we presented all the gory details of the design that was approved to fly (which, hopefully, should not have had any major surprises given how involved they all were).

b.       We were designing in parallel to the MSS study and working with them to tailor the design and mission objectives/requirements based on their specific constraints for their specific vehicle (like DC power budget, thermal management, EMI management, etc.).  VT as an organization, had no problems signing NDAs for access to Rincon proprietary info, dealing with ITAR issues related to the vehicle itself and the Air Force mission, etc. and handling all of that documentation and other material on gov’t approved IT systems (something that might be a harder pill to swallow for ORI/AMSAT volunteers, though a lot of that may have changed with the ORI CJ recent work).  We learned a lot in that process, and the design can certainly be adapted if other opportunities present themselves (not glued to an MSS vehicle).

c.       One could argue (from the hindsight perspective) that the AMSAT money got goal #1 and the VT donation got goal #2.  In reality, not quite that clean, both were needed to be successful, and at lot more support for the overall project came in various forms from multiple organizations including ARRL and FEMA, and multiple volunteers.  Also to be clear, it wasn’t ‘ALL VT’ for major outcome #2…… Rincon donated the prototype AstroSDR (and would have provided the flight unit), and Mike Parker shook loose IRAD dollars so that their engineers could train us up and provide engineering support.  Ettus Research donated hardware for ground testing.  Marc Franco for was a HUGE supporter in terms of his volunteer time and student mentorship for a VT grad student working on the overall RF front end design (which included a low element count phased array concept so that we could steer the beam as the vehicle potentially maneuvered its attitude, we scheduled update calls with him around his lunch break at his day job).  Michelle of course was another Huge supporter for defining the mission objectives and overall concept, including the Air Interface (which was completely open and free of ITAR/Proprietary restrictions), Jerry Buxton represented AMSAT (our customer) and we had help from many other AMSAT volunteers for areas like control concepts, and reset receivers, etc. etc.… Tons of other examples here, point is, it was team effort.

d.       Another ‘benefit’ IMHO is understanding how (and demonstrating that) a University that’s at least a tiny spec of a small part of a corner of the defense and intelligence community (in this specific example, VT and the Hume Center, but this could apply to many universities), can help divvy up the responsibilities related to security/ITAR/ etc. and carve that out from the Open amateur radio goals….the value to ORI/AMSAT of this is a potentially wider range of launch possibilities / vehicles and a framework for handling that kind of material (and again, doesn’t have to be VT….Bob Bruninga at the Naval Academy is another example, and I’m sure there are other examples).  The ORI CJ recent efforts will go a long way to alleviate a lot of those troubles, particularly with cubesats/smallsats, but there may be cases/opportunities where things are still proprietary, ITAR, or even classified, and Universities with the right infrastructure (and willingness to deal with those burdens) can help there.  I occasionally see opportunities for more ‘exotic’ orbits, like GTO and HEO, cross my inbox that I would love to partner with ORI/AMSAT on to get something into those orbits, but usually those opportunities come with ‘strings attached’ where the Amateur payload would be secondary to some primary defense/intel mission, likely some kind of tech demo to burn down risk for a widget destined for greater things one day…….I could see opportunities there though where we can get something done for our sponsors while simultaneously serving ORI and Amateur Radio goals.

So no, you don’t need a lot more funding to work with VT, but we need to be clear about the kind of work we are engaged on and manage expectations.  If you want DVB-S2X implemented on a Xynq platform, and all published as Open Source, maybe wrapped in RFNoC or OpenCPI style frameworks and published on Github…..I would not expect a 1 semester undergrad, loosely supervised by a research faculty member in their free time to get that done.  That has a much better chance working if we find the right grad student focused on DSP/FPGA for their Master’s though, and funded through an ORI (or similar) grant/contract, with the right faculty advisor.  That work would also fit under a ‘sponsored research’ framework, where our actual FPGA experts (research faculty) could spend real time on the problem (perhaps with grad student support).  To be clear, just using the DVB-S2X on an FPGA project as one example, there are lots of other areas where this could apply as well.

We could also PARTNER to go after funding together, like say in a joint proposal to NSF or NASA proposal or maybe a DURIP (which for those who aren’t familiar, DURIPs are Defense University Research Instrumentation Programs, where we can get DoD to sponsor purchases of equipment that might be relevant to their research domains, but a University needs to be involved for that among many other requirements).  I work with a PI who loves to say that NSF ‘prefers to equally underfund everyone so they don’t have any appearance of bias and to keep everyone equally frustrated with them’….which to put a more positive spin on that, an ORI lead (as the PI institution) multi-university effort (with say 4 or 5 different universities as Co-PI institutions, doing different parts of the project, and bringing their students to the table, which NSF likes) might actually have a decent chance of getting NSF funded (so long as we have a solid science case of course).

That’s all for now! Thanks to the readers that made it this far down! I really do appreciate folks taking the time to listen to my opinions on this topic.

-Zach, KJ4QLP
--
Research Associate
Aerospace & Ocean Systems Lab