[Ground-station] Question for ORI:

Leffke, Zachary zleffke at vt.edu
Thu Apr 1 22:33:06 PST 2021

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for the response.  I think that all makes sense to me.  I guess I’m just saying (IMHO) we shouldn’t COMPLETELY shy away from say a reference design for a ground station that uses something like an RTL-SDR or FunCube dongle just because they use proprietary hardware, given their popularity and in order to stay ‘relevant to the masses’ …… Also I realize I’m harping a bit on the proprietary chips and such more for something like open hardware designs…..completely agree the protocols involved should be free and clear of any kind of patent, IP protection, etc.....ideally there should be many ways to ‘skin the cat’ there for implementation (RFICs, SDRs, etc).

Back on the LoRa specific topic, and as far as reverse engineering (for better or worse), just thought I’d mention this:  https://github.com/BastilleResearch/gr-lora (might be outdated, hasn’t been updated in 4 years or so, but maybe useful to someone looking at ‘LoRa from space’ even if the above isn’t specifically for space applications).

-Zach, KJ4QLP
--
Research Associate
Aerospace & Ocean Systems Lab