[Ground-station] Debris Mitigation - call for comments

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 08:52:12 PDT 2020

There's some literature out there about insurance models for space given
debris mitigation. I've read a few with effort to get a variety of
viewpoints.

The consensus so far, for space, is to do a similar thing to what the oil
industry did to respond to large spills.

To me, though, this works only if everyone participating in a market is
roughly the same size, or can join up with much larger organizations.

The reason I raise this is because there are people in amateur radio that
believe that the individual trustee of an amateur or possibly University
payload is the one on the hook for liability under potential new rules.

We should comment on the rule if we can articulate the impact to amateur
and university work by these new rules.

-Michelle W5NYV