[Ground-station] "Hello World" acceptance testing for test equipment

Drew Arnett arnett.drew at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 21:25:54 PST 2020

I wonder if that HTTP protocol is safe from Little Jonny Drop Tables.
:-)  (You know the old xkcd reference to sanitizing your input.)

If you use python and one of the standards based interfaces:  SCPI
over any one of TCP, telnet, serial, then the test software will run
on anything.  Windows, linux, osx, pi, whatever.  No need for drivers
of good or bad quality just to control the instrument.  Looks like
those Rigol and even that Minicircuits meets my standard.  A simple
thin abstraction and you don't care what the underlying transport for
the SCPI is.

Put all that test gear on a private lan and only with a trusted host
with access to it.  Then don't worry about the security of the test
equipment.  Unless you don't trust the test equipment.  :-)  Maybe
firewall up?

Telnet is just fine in some cases, but yeah, it has to be passwords in
the clear are OK and no authentication needed kind of cases.  :-)

Still not a fan of the HID 'trick' to try to make USB easy.  We've had
libusb forever now.

Drew