[Ground-station] Gateway update + Gateway orbit modeling

Paul Williamson paul.kb5mu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 12:55:39 PDT 2020

>> On Mar 23, 2020, at 10:56 AM, KENT BRITAIN wrote:
> I wouldn't rule out a dish/feed that puts out an Oval pattern much like
> the FAA RADARS.   Now pointing at the moon would be enough.

That doesn’t really buy anything, since tracking the moon already requires two axes. The extra computations are free compared to the mechanical complexity.

> Tips of the oval to match the satellite's max distance from the moon.

That’s a third axis, so the oval pattern dish is actually worse mechanically. It also gives up some gain, of course, which we can ill afford.

  -Paul KB5MU