[Ground-station] How are we set for layout tools?

Keith Wheeler keith.m.wheeler at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 10:39:26 PDT 2020

Paul,

Honestly I personally wouldn't have separate repos for the outputs and
source. I'd tend towards a single repo, with outputs being generated for
each tagged release. I mentioned separate repos because many prefer to
model hardware repos on software ones where build artifacts are pushed to a
different channel. The complaint, as I understand it, is that at any point
in development other than tagging a release, there is likely to be a
mismatch between the source schematic document output documents. Seems to
me the best way to resolve this is a well written readme; I think CI/CD is
still a radical concept for board design, at least once you get away from
multik$ tools which have scripting support for automated output generation.

One thing I'd change in the trans-ionospheric repo is the "outputs"
directory. The gerbers, drc, BOM, etc are all there. Perhaps a directory
structure for these would be in order, and one would be the pdf's of the
source docs. Netlists would be a useful output.

John,

I completely agree with your comment about creating a project library. Some
tools make that easy; the top tier Altium does, I don't know about the
"Circuit Studio" I use or Kicad. While "source" a project library should be
at a minimum updated with every tagged release. Other than the tool the
project space should contain every source file someone would need to
recreate and modify the gerbers, BOM, etc, with no surprise library
dependencies. It also prevents issues with name collisions -- I've seen
tools just default to using the first "SOT23" footprint it finds, and if
there are different footprints that differ in pin ordering, bad things
happen.