[Ground-station] How are we set for layout tools?

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Mon Jul 27 18:23:32 PDT 2020

Well, I think we fail at the mission of being an Open Research Institute
that produces open stuff for everyone if they can't utilize it without
proprietary tools. We can also run into ITAR issues if the *only* way we
can release some things is through an NDA-covered file format. I would thus
caution you to always make such things available in some open format.

In the case of Vivado, Open Source FPGA work flows aren't ready yet
(although development is finally promising - it took a while). In the case
of PCB manufacture, if there is no transition path from your work to KiCAD,
that would really be a shame. KiCAD is only going to get better, and the
future will probably not include Eagle at all, because it is buggy enough
that users will move to KiCAD as it improves (they have been already).

    Thanks

    Bruce