[Ground-station] ATCO net tonight - not in range? you can join over zoom!

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 08:40:19 PST 2020

Greetings all! Here's a letter from Art WA8RMC about the ATCO ATV net.

"Tonight is the ATCO net night at 8 PM EST on 147.48. Join us if you can
with video and, or audio locally.

For the participants beyond the reach of our repeater, we will also use a
"ZOOM" computer chat/video conferencing system similar to familiar Skype
but much better. Many ATVers are now using this because of it's simplicity
and video quality. (BATC streaming will not be used).

I know it's not "Ham Radio" that so many of you cherish with noise,
interference and atmospheric challenges, but it's a great 2 way
communication system open to all beyond the normal reach of ATV. It's not
intended to "replace" Ham Radio but only as an introduction to the hobby so
those without radio equipment can enjoy the conversation. Hopefully this
will be a driving force for future active ATV operation!

It's easy to install and use on your computer or smartphone. To join the
meeting the first time, simply type https://zoom.us/join and then download,
install the .exe program and run it. Then ZOOM starts. Click on join, enter
the 9670918666 meeting ID and you're in. You can join with video or just
audio if you don't have a camera. I will host the meeting but bear with me
until I get familiar with the way it operates. Zoom accommodates up to 100
participants so it's easy to see everyone in real time with no latency full
duplex operation!

Art
WA8RMC"