[Ground-station] Checking some assumptions about dish weight

KENT BRITAIN wa5vjb at flash.net
Thu Jan 9 13:51:53 PST 2020

 Usually 60-75% of the weight is in the mount and positioners.

    On Thursday, January 9, 2020, 2:20:31 PM CST, Michelle Thompson via Ground-Station <ground-station at lists.openresearch.institute> wrote:

 This question is related to the open source tracking station project.

I've looked at a lot of dish catalogs and eBay sales.

For big dishes, for use up to 10GHz or so, would it be reasonable to specify 100lbs (45kg) for the weight? I'm seeing a lot of dishes up to 8ft that are less than that. We have to pick a number for the mechanical designer.

Another breakpoint seems to be 250lbs (115kg).