[Ground-station] Experimental Channels

Phil Karn karn at ka9q.net
Thu Feb 13 19:52:21 PST 2020

On 2/12/20 16:18, Bruce Perens wrote:
> Let us all be aware of the fallacy of making our satellite all things
> to all people. If it's not a good experimental platform for new
> modulations, and it's not a good platform for FM communications, we
> should console ourselves in the fact that it is not actually the last
> Amateur satellite to be launched. Opportunities for us to launch
> experimental satellites are increasing.

I actually agree with this pretty strongly. I'd do this experimental
mode only if it's easy and doesn't significantly impair the primary
operating mode.

My boss at Qualcomm, Franklin Antonio N6NKF, said that way back in
Linkabit they had a saying: "Modes kill modems". This has become
somewhat less so over time, but it's still not completely false.

Phil