[Ground-station] Experimental Channels

Mike Parker airarray at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 14:02:12 PST 2020

That’s somewhat like what we are planning to do on the CatSat HF experiment.  The entire HF band will be digitized.  Then in the on-board FPGA a number of narrowband tuners will be synthesized.  Analogous to a bank of USB radios, these will be tuned to WSPR, FT-8, etc. frequencies on 40, 20, 17, 15, 12, and 10 meters.  The result will be digitally multiplexed and stored.
Then the data stream will be played back at a higher rate, modulated onto a single 3 cm (10 GHz)  carrier using DVB-S2. and transmitted to ground stations.  There the multiplexed signal will be broken back into audio channels several kHz wide.
Since CatSat will be in a LEO orbit, it will be up to the user to apply inverse Doppler to correct for frequency shift between the station being copied and the satellite.  It is also likely that frequency shifts caused by the ionosphere will have to be compensated for.  Then the desired signal can be demodulated using WSJT-X software.  Of course, just as on HF today, it is likely that many signals will be present within the several kHz of bandwidth.
For those who don’t want to experiment with building a 3 cm station that must point a dish at the LEO, we plan to put the demultiplexed audio signals on the internet.

If one had multiple antenna elements on their spacecraft, one might put a receive channel on each separate element.  With all the channels tuned to the same frequency, the downlinked multiplexed data stream could then be combined on the ground to form steerable beams and nulls.  Each user could have their very own phased array in space.  How cool would that be!

So yes, I think that I,Q data streams still have a place.
73,
Mike Parker, KT7D
P.S. More information about CatSat was presented at the AMSAT annual meeting last fall.  I understand that the paper will be republished in a future AMSAT Journal.  The University of Arizona team is currently running as fast as we can towards a launch early next year.