[Ground-station] HAB tracker

Phil Karn karn at ka9q.net
Fri Sep 27 13:42:33 PDT 2019

On 9/26/19 12:16, KC9SGV via Ground-Station wrote:
> Wonder what telemetery solution these guys use ?
> Not APRS on V/UHF, because of large ocean stretches.
> Think it is some version of WSPR or WSPR-X on 30 m HF with HF ground
> stations.
>
> https://tracker.habhub.org/#!mt=roadmap&mz=3&qm=1_day&f=ICT3&q=!RS_*;

WB8ELK has two versions of his picotracker. One transmits APRS on 2m,
with geofencing that sets frequencies as appropriate. The other
transmits a modified WSPR on 20m. We've flown both at UCSD and MCHS.
Bill runs a program to pick up the WSPR data and re-encode it into the
APRS network, from where I believe it reaches habhub.org.

There are other balloon trackers out there but I'm not familiar with the
details.

Phil