[Ground-station] P4G System Testbed Prototyping Scheme proposal

Wally Ritchie wally.ritchie at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 08:04:19 PST 2019

Great Start

Some Observations:

1. 100kHz seems more like wideband than narrowband. 100kHz x 100 channels
is 10MHz or half of the entire C band uplink spectrum allocation. This seem
about 10X too wide. All things being equal, 100kHz channels require 10dB
higher power than 10kHz channels. So, what you can do with 1W for 10kHz
channels requires 10W for 100kHz.
2. Based on cursory listening to narrowband transponder on QO-100, people
seem to be using on the order of 2W for 2.7kHz channels producing something
like 15dB C/N with modest uplink antennae.
3. There is 70kHz of available bandwidth on QO-100 allocated to digital or
mixed modes that could be used for testing narrowband digital waveforms up
to 2.7kHz (the limit of the current operating rules). This could be used to
test narrowband uplink waveforms in a real earth-space environment. Perhaps
temporary permission can be gained for testing wider waveforms up to about
10k wide. Testing of wider waveforms can also be done in the RB-TV portion
of the Wideband transponder. These channels are about 300kHz wide.
4. In any deployed satellite-based digital repeater, the two figures of
merit for the RF will be the EIRP of the downlink transmitter, and the G/T
of the uplink receiver. These will vary depending on what the
host-satellite can make available for Power and Antennae.  QO-100 wideband
hemispheric beam output is likely as good as it will get (at least for hemi
beams) since this is based on a commercial linear transponder output.
Another bird might be 10dB below that or lower. Receiver G/T should
comparable to QO-100. (Note, however, that pathloss is 7.5dB greater at C
band vs. S band).
5. The 2Mbaud DVB-S2 (QPSK 2/3) downlink beacon of QO-100 provides an
excellent baseline reference as do DVB-S (and S2) carriers in the remaining
5+ MHz bandwidth. Note that lots of real-world testing can be performed on
this linear transponder using one or more DVB-S2 carriers originated on the
ground. This can also be used for downlink receiver testing, in particular
testing the ability of low-cost DVB-S2 receivers to handle 1Mbaud DBV-S2 in
the presence of adjacent channels at similar power. (The typical consumer
grade DVB-S2 has a minimum channel filter of 5 – 6 MHz).

Wally WU1Y