[Ground-station] Summer Plans + AMSAT-NA election + DEFCON Schedule

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 13:52:15 PDT 2019

Greetings all,

Here's the plans for Open Research Institute and Phase 4 Ground and Space
over the summer, and a message about the AMSAT-NA election. Last chunk is
about DEFCON exhibit schedule and a call for volunteers.

Technical work will continue through the summer. We have a lot of irons in
the fire. The most recent video report was about the Trans-Ionospheric
badge and the Phase 4 Ground Radio development board (ESP32). Some other
recent work is the Theseus Cores polyphase filterbank progress, the LDPC
decoder work, multicast IP SDR progress, satellite simulator, and plenty
more. What's coming up?

Phase 4 Ground will be at DEFCON Ham Radio village (exhibit,
demonstrations, and workshops) and at Burning Man (Math Camp presentations,
demonstrations, and workshops). Last year's Burning Man work lead directly
to the LDPC TAPR talk at DCC. Last year's DEFCON work lead directly to
significant financial support, coding help, and new technical resources.

I'm serving as a reviewer for Libre Space Open Source Cubesat Workshop,
supporting Microwave Update, and co-chairing GNU Radio Conference 2019.
These events conclude in September-October.

AMSAT-NA Board of Directors Election

I'm running with a slate of candidates that are challenging the incumbents
at AMSAT-NA. Voting opens soon and closes September 15th. Please vote for
us if you would like open source and full use of the public domain options
in ITAR for AMSAT-NA. We have already renovated the member database and
have lined up volunteers to implement modern functionality for both
commerce and member management. This is a job that has languished for
years. If we can do this in our free time during a campaign, imagine what
we can do if we were elected. Details on the slate can be found here:
https://perens.com/static/AMSAT/Election2019.html

I am doing this to get open source values and goals represented and
implemented in the United States amateur satellite service. I do not
believe that projects like ours have been well represented by AMSAT-NA. I
believe that this is at their substantial loss. The slate is all in on this
effort. We do need your help! Please spread the word.

DEFCON

We need volunteers at DEFCON. Sign up here to do a shift at our Volcano!
SDR booth. It's fun and low stress. Bring anything you want to show off
that's ham radio related! We are on the vendor list, so we can sell from
this booth.

Sign up for an Open Research Institute (Phase 4 Ground and Space) booth
shift here:
https://doodle.com/poll/u4p88xuveft2azgi

DEFCON website:
https://www.defcon.org/