[Ground-station] Baseband => decimation - questions

David Vieira dpv at ieee.org
Fri Jan 25 16:25:03 PST 2019

 M - I'm hearing pieces of the puzzle.

Ron is stating the standard is 950-2150 for DVB-S2; yet clearly others are putting a lower IF into an SDR (with integrated FPGA).
I also understood some folks are working on a discrete FPGA (or Nvidia??) chip, with TBD front end.  I believe my decimation questions started with that paradigm, but not necessarily limited to that scope.  So can we get the DVB "standard" to work with lower IF's?  (ie, 144, 618, 700ish MHz)

It makes sense an Off-The-Shelf wideband SDR can just absorb the data directly.  (My impression is we needed more horse power for the DSP backend.)
As for LNB's, I didn't realize some were stable enough for 10G links.I believe the North Amer. Ph4B design target design is Geostationary, so a few Hz may matter.   (I'm still trying to guess what a EsHal bird is?)  If a dish is too narrow to target, a some of us have 10G Flat Panels with ~7-8 degree beam width.  It sounds like there are several sub-projects and many variations in hardware implementations; constraints in one may not apply to another.
Keep the comments coming...
regards,KI6CLA