[Ground-station] FreeDV QSO party, FreeDV GUI as a starting point for P4G?

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 09:18:12 PST 2019

This is exactly why we do not design in a codec, and is why we have a very
firm "no crappy codecs" policy.

Voice *is* the product when it comes to amateur radios. Yes, we will ship
data, images, text, etc. but people will use voice and voice memos to
communicate.

We are not going to spend all this time and energy on an ambitious and
difficult system just to drape something like AMBE on top of it.

Neither codec2 or opus sound great, even at high rates. I really like the
high rate aac used by WhatsApp. That's the minimum quality we should be
delivering.

Codec is an application layer decision, which means really nice voice
quality is possible.

If people want to downgrade so they sound like they're on System Fusion,
then they are free to do so.

The repercussion of being codec agnostic is that we will have to have an
application ready to go day 1 that provides a great voice experience.

-Michelle W5NYV