[Ground-station] Draft comment - WT Docket No. 19-348

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 12:45:41 PST 2019

Update with content from Wally Ritchie.

Recommendations

1) 1) Allow the Amateur Satellite Service to keep their current allocation
at 3.40 to 3.41 GHz for space-to-space communications and expand this
allocation to 50MHz within the existing amateur 3.30 to 3.50 GHz allocation.

Why?

This is a useful inter-satellite frequency and would in no way interfere
with the ground-based 5G. 3 GHz is expected to be important for lunar to
Lunar Orbiting Platform Gateway (LOP-G) relays. We expect data received on
3 GHz will be forwarded over a 10 GHz DVB-S2 downlink.

Amateur Radio use of 3.4 GHz for space-to-space links to space-based relay
stations can enable development of new technologies and techniques to more
efficiently utilize spectrum in space while posing negligible interference
to uses on the ground.