[Ground-station] Quick end-of-week report

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 08:30:31 PST 2019

Meeting with an engineering consultant today to get more advice on the the
Open Rotator mechanical design. We expect to demonstrate the rotator system
and the receiver at Tokyo Ham Fair 2020.

Draft for FCC comment on 3GHz amateur radio removal should be to the
reviewer today. Without peer review, none of our writing would be as good
as it is! We are fortunate to have several high quality close readers.
Thank you to everyone that helps out here. It's greatly appreciated.

We received and paid our first invoice for legal work to get commodity
jurisdiction from the US State Department for our open source designs. This
is a big deal that will help not just us, but many other open source space
and ground systems projects. We may have a dedicated fundraiser later on if
the costs exceed the modest estimates.

VHDL LDPC decoder is progressing very well. Thank you to Ahmet Inan for
dedicated and high quality work!

Progress on systems definition and modeling for 6U x4 is moving forward.
Thank you to Thomas Parry for spearheading this part of the project.

Open Source Initiative has invited Open Research Institute to their media
promotion program. I'll send them what they are asking for and we'll get
some very appreciated publicity from OSI. ORI is an affiliate member of
OSI.

Brennan Price, the new Secretary of AMSAT-NA, is assisting Open Research
Institute with becoming a Member Society of AMSAT. This is a good thing and
we appreciate Brennan's help here very much. The cost appears to be $80 a
year to maintain the membership.

Open Research Institute will be the logistics sponsor for GNU Radio
Conference 2020. Please save the date! GRCon20 is September 14-18 in
Charlotte, North Carolina. If you are able to staff our booth any time that
week then contact me now and we'll get you signed up as a volunteer.

Plenty going on!

Questions, comments, reports?