[Ground-station] [amsat-bb] Update: Rent GEO bandwidth for US

KENT BRITAIN wa5vjb at flash.net
Thu Aug 22 09:30:53 PDT 2019

 John, all we need is the ride!!!!!!!
Kent G8EMY/WA5VJB

    On Thursday, August 22, 2019, 11:25:37 AM CDT, John Brier via Ground-Station <ground-station at lists.openresearch.institute> wrote:

 I personally don't like using amateur radio infrastructure that
partially depends on the internet, but there are a lot of hams that
don't care and think it's quite cool. Look at Echolink and IRLP, which
have been around for a long time. I believe the newer DMR and D-Star
protocols have internet capability too, and they seem to be even more
popular than Echolink ever was.

I don't know about the cost, but if this was made available to hams
I'm sure there would be a lot of people interested because a lot of
people find it exciting to hear their voice relayed from space. Maybe
people that find manual LEO tracking too difficult would try this
instead. Also, I know when QO-100 came online I heard that a lot of
former HEO sat ops who were no longer active started cropping up on
its passband.

I do see the argument that it could be good practice for a future all
ham band GEO sat. Actually, there are a lot of people on QO-100 who
uplink directly but use WebSDR to receive the downlink. I imagine they
eventually want to do it all RF, I sure would, but that proves that it
is good practice. This proposal may not have a downlink in ham bands
but that personally wouldn't bother me, as long as I get to hear my
signal come down over RF. Lots of hams are into SWL outside of ham
bands for the same reason they are interested in RF on ham bands.

Just having a GEO sat we could use, even if it doesn't use much ham
infrastructure, could drive interest for a full ham GEO sat.

Also, absolutist arguments, whether hyperbole or not, are usually
wrong and often unhelpful.