[Ground-station] Phase 4 Ground radio to radio peripheral (Trans-Ionospheric Badge) update

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 10:15:26 PDT 2019

Here's a brief outline of the work so far on getting the Phase 4 Ground
radio to radio peripheral channel up and running. Details so far in the
snapshot poster attached. This will be kept updated in the
Trans-Ionospheric codebase repository and will be on our badge website.

The data presented to the radio peripheral (and on the radio hardware) will
be from the the satellite simulator. Information reported will be uplink,
downlink, and payload status. There is a lot of progress on the satellite
simulator. Wally Ritchie is the lead on this. Experiments on QO-100 are
planned. A working network results when hardware is incorporated over time
into the simulator framework.

Phase 4 Ground radio hardware is represented in the radio peripheral
communications project with an ESP32. Peripheral hardware is a
Trans-Ionospheric badge. The link is BlueTooth Low Energy. Reverse link
radio control from the badge to the radio will be considered separately, as
it has different requirements than reporting radio system status.

ESP32 is the baseline SoC for the SDR for TAPR that Scott Cowling (TAPR) is
working on. We are working together on this to re-use as much as possible
for P4G radios. Expect a spec for that soon! Scott has been working hard on
this and will be releasing it for review, comment, and critique very soon.

A somewhat ambitious goal is to demonstrate working radio peripherals at
DEFCON in late summer 2019 that are showing live data from the satellite
simulator.

Daily engineering for the radio peripheral (badge) work is on our
#phase_4_badge Slack channel.

Wally and Scott will reach out if they need any help. I am standing by to
ensure they get it. Their efforts are greatly appreciated.