[Ground-station] Open Source CubeSat Workshop notes from Hugh

Zach Leffke zleffke at vt.edu
Mon Oct 1 18:30:46 PDT 2018

not at all an expert in this area, but relative to the point about I2C
locking the bus and potentially bricking spacecraft (towards end of
notes).......

This is the second time I've heard of this issue, though haven't
directly experienced it myself (though not a lot of experience in this
area).

The other data point on this was from NASA Goddard's Dellingr project,
where they experienced similar I2C issues.  in their case the main
computer kept crashing every 45secs right at the point where I2C drivers
were being loaded during the boot process. Something about the bus being
already 'occupied' which was not expected by the flight computer.  The
reload of the I2C driver was just enough that it was resetting the comms
watchdog timer on the EPS (clyde space product), preventing it from
triggering a full spacecraft power cycle (as far as the EPS was
concerned, it was seeing I2C traffic, so 'all was well' from the comms
watchdog perspective).  In their case, they were able to command
'constant' resets for a pass via the CADET radio, which caused the
computer to reset faster than the 45 sec rate (before I2C driver
power cycle, clearing the I2C fault.  Memory dumps of the crashes
(enabled by the use of NASA's Core Flight System) allowed them to
post-mortem the problem and determine the issue was with the reaction
wheels saturating the I2C bus.  They used NASA's cFS (Core Flight
System, open source flight software running on RTOSs of various flavors)
for the main control software which enabled them to do the memory dump,
upload new 'apps' for interfacing with the reaction wheels, and
ultimately develop a workaround to continue on with the mission.

I know other groups are looking at CAN as an alternative to I2C for the
main comms bus (google Cubesat Next Generation Bus).  Not sure if this
is a good idea or not, how it stacks up to CAN, etc, but maybe should be
considered........I know its heavily used in automotive applications, so
probably plenty of available component level HW available and probably
SW as well, and if implemented correctly, probably is pretty robust.

As far as open source ground software.....COSMOS from Ball Aerospace
appears to be picking up momentum.  Its used by many companies and
NASA.  We're now using it on our VCC cubesat mission at VT for the main
Command and Control suite.  We had to develop custom parsers for AX.25 /
KISS, but the whole thing is written in Ruby and after the 'learning
curve' related to their config files, its pretty easy to work with and
develop custom pieces/modules for.

-Zach

Research Associate
Aerospace Systems Lab
Ted & Karyn Hume Center for National Security & Technology
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
Work Phone: 540-231-4174
Cell Phone: 540-808-6305