[Ground-station] 10GHz Remote Receiver - update, and how best to do the web interface?

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Wed May 30 09:37:02 PDT 2018

Douglas recommended WebSDR. That is still in process because it hit a snag
on Odroid.

Tony Stone recommended
https://www.wimo.com/kiwisdr_receiver_webradio_e.html and
outlined a path to include remote receiver data there. He related some
experience with LNB temperature stability and ideas for compensation.

OpenWebRX worked on the first try and we have an LNB on a Stick on the web
at their site.

See https://sdr.hu/?q=w5nyv

For OpenWebRX, things to do include:

Get the receive frequency displayed instead of the IF frequency displayed.
Have it come up in a more useful USB or CW mode instead of FM mode. Brennan
Ashton pointed out that this could be changed in spectrum_thread_function()

For OpenWebRX, the architecture got some criticism, as it streams the data
from the machine attached to the SDR out to every single user. Please give
it a shot and see if you can copy the local beacon. I'll leave it pointed
that way for now.

The advantages here are a quick way to stand up an LNB on a Stick on the
web for terrestrial operation and experiments. There's a map view and a way
to incorporate GPS. There's a way to incorporate the view from a webcam
into the background as well, so you can see what the site looks like.

Total cost so far is $60 Odroid + $25 Noelec Smart RTLSDR + $0 SDMG loan
Bias-T + $35 sprinkler box with outlet + $25 linearly polarized PLL style
LNB + $0 scrounged wifi dongle + $20 10ft mast + $40 outdoor umbrella stand
+ $15 USB 3.0 hub + $0 hand-made F and SMA cables from in stock tools and
connectors

For a total of $220 or so. Not bad!

This is AC powered. Going off grid would require battery/solar and if you
wanted GPS to automagically update then you need a GPS update of some sort.
The outdoor umbrella stand is the most egregious expense so far, because
you can get by with other less expensive bases/stakes/rebar/guying.
Decorative umbrella stands work well for my backyard and make it look like
it belongs and blends in - use whatever works for you. Adding a way to
rotate the LNB and a digital compass would be groovy and had been suggested
a couple of times.

Tracking something like a balloon via APRS is possible. We wrote an article
for TAPR a while back about using APRS to help with pointing. Read "The
Problem is Pointing" here: http://www.tapr.org/psr/psr107.pdf

So, for satellite operations, we want to be in SatNogs. We talked with
Pierros and other Libre Space people at Hamvention, and getting microwave
band ground stations (like Phase 4 Ground) working in SatNogs is welcome
and strongly encouraged. They have VHF/UHF covered pretty well, but do not
feel like they have enough coverage of microwave broadband digital.

People that are doing things like weather satellite reception really want
it to be in SatNogs as well. There's a lot of potential collaboration and
support and targets here. There is tons of things to learn and build that
are shared components.

https://satnogs.org/

We have most of a SatNogs station built up here. I know some of you have
either started a station or have been really seriously thinking about. Make
now the time to dig in and get it finished.

To be most useful, an SDR capable of 10MHz bandwidth is required to handle
the full air interface.

Don't let that stop you from using something like an RTL-SDR in the
meantime!

Our version for CubeQuestChallenge was something that an RTL-SDR could do,
and we're going to finish that version, so if that's what you have, plunk
it down and get the station up and running.

More soon,

-Michelle W5NYV