[Ground-station] Collaboration for Space with OreSat - badge update - goals for transparency in finances

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Sun May 13 10:22:28 PDT 2018

Greetings everyone! Here's a report on some of the things going on in the
project.

Glenn LeBrasseur, who is working with the OreSat cubesat project from
Portland State University, contacted us and wants to collaborate. I
responded enthusiastically in the positive.

We’ll be talking more to see where we can help, learn, and fit in. They are
also working with Libre Space.

All of us want to see a lot more successful open source space work. Glenn
introduced me to another person that is involved with OreSat so that we can
get started as soon as possible.

There's plenty of opportunities for networking with Libre Space and people
related to OreSat at Hamvention. Libre Space is very supportive of Phase 4
Ground, and OreSat looks to be right up our alley.

Learn more about OreSat here: http://oresat.org/
Learn more about Libre Space here: https://libre.space/

Badge team has been plowing a lot of time into badge software to get ready
for Hamvention. This isn't the end of badge software efforts, as the badge
will undoubtedly be revised for DEFCON and GNU Radio Conference, but the
workload will level off by a lot, very soon.

We do have a backup plan (for sales) if the boards don't arrive in time or
have insurmountable-in-a-short-timeframe issues. We're cutting it pretty
close, but we're currently on schedule.

All source code and firmware updates will be posted to GitHub for anyone
that gets one along the way and wants to update to the latest code, remix,
experiment and learn, or improve it.

The Trans-Ionospheric badge is intended to be a radio peripheral as well as
a hackable conference badge. It is a fundraiser for Phase 4 Ground.
Successful sales will go entirely, and transparently, to funding the
Trans-Ionospheric Radio (Phase 4 Ground end product) development. Spending
priorities will be discussed openly on Slack and this list.

501c3 application is proceeding on schedule. As soon as there's any
developments there, we'll announce them. Can't hurry love, can't hurry the
government.

Expect to hear a lot more about DEFCON and GNU Radio Conference "block
parties" after Hamvention. We have a full schedule at Hamvention and look
to carry the momentum forward throughout the rest of the year.