[Ground-station] UI for SDR

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Sat Jun 30 14:22:58 PDT 2018

I am running all-OpenWRT. They have made it easier to buy new equipment by
providing an "ideal for OpenWRT" list at
https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_available_864

The release candidate for OpenWRT 18 is quietly being tested (look in their
downloads directory) and seems to work pretty well so far. I have
previously reflashed some Ubiquiti equipment to OpenWRT, for example their
2.4 GHz dish with built-in AP. For the firewall I have a Turris Omnia box,
which uses a fork of OpenWRT that they maintain and automatically update.

The Zyxel Amor Z2 (NBG6817) is $170 at Amazon and really impressive for
running OpenWRT. 4G flash and 1/2 G RAM onboard, 1W 2.4 GHz, 0.2W 5 GHz.
And it's based on WiFi chips that have good Open Source drivers.

Regarding TCP/IP networking for Amateur Radio, sometimes it's wrong for
voice. Comparing the size of an IPV6 header and 40 ms of Codec2 speech
demonstrates the problem, the data payload can be smaller than a single
address, not to mention the entire header. Connection-based protocols
rather than packet switching can make more sense for voice.

Regarding building data networks that support multicast, yeah, it would be
nice to have multicast that works, and I often wonder if the best way to
solve this on the internet is to create a global VPN with distributed hubs
and multicast routing between them. Run the client connection over
websockets so the ISP firewalls can't mess with you.

I think Amateur IP should be IPV6-only. There is no point in putting effort
into IPV4 strategies any longer.

    Thanks

    Bruce

--
Bruce Perens K6BP - CEO, Legal Engineering
Standards committee chair, license review committee member, co-founder,