[Ground-station] Space Policy Directive 3

Howie DeFelice howied231 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 19 06:38:40 PDT 2018

This seems like a statement of a sound policy to me. I think we can expect increased requirements for amateur radio satellites to include:

  *   attitude determination and control
  *   propulsion or other means to allow orbit modification
  *   standardized remote identification in some form of transponder

Unintentional RF interference is a huge problem in commercial satellite that imposes maximum EIRP uplink density limits on off axis emissions and maximum downlink EIRP density limits. For some reason the FCC seems to think that spectrum sharing in C-band is a good idea in order to placate the 5G donor base. We have already unofficially lost the 3.4 GHz. ham band. If the 5G money can allow the FCC to make billions of dollars worth of satellites obsolete while they still have a decade of life left, they can desimate the entire amateur microwave spectrum in a single pen stroke.  It's time to make the FCC an independent non-government agency, if that's possible.

  *   Howie AB2S