[Ground-station] Need some nuclear science help

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Sun Jun 3 16:03:47 PDT 2018

Thanks. I would assume that a satellite for anything other than LEO that we
launch is expected to be long-lived and that the flight computer must be
rad-hard or it won't survive in orbit due to actual physical damage to the
component, as AO-10's RAM did not. This was back when RAM used much larger
silicon features than today, and was probably less vulnerable. I need to be
able to tell people who know even less than I about this why we can't use
consumer parts with shielding or redundancy as a strategy for anything but
low earth orbit. I still would like to have more numbers, rather than
simply relying on experts or waving my hands :-)

    Thanks

    Bruce

--
Bruce Perens K6BP - CEO, Legal Engineering
Standards committee chair, license review committee member, co-founder,