[Ground-station] Need some nuclear science help

Jordan Trewitt jmtrewitt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 10:47:44 PDT 2018

I've been talking back and forth between other members and between other
guys on twitter about this too. Another material it looks like wasn't
mentioned is high density polyethylene (HDPE), which absorbs just like the
denser metals, but does not produce as much secondary backscatter. It is
also a whole 2.5 times less dense that aluminum if we wanted to look at the
weight factor.  I've been trying to read up between survey for radiation on
the moon and mars (
http://www.marsjournal.org/contents/2006/0004/files/rapp_mars_2006_0004.pdf),
or another survey that looks at aluminum, HDPE and Tantalum shielding (
http://www.imedpub.com/articles/shielding-protection-of-electronic-circuits-against-radiation-effects-of-spacehigh-energy-particles.pdf).
If we need to make the HDPE work as EMI shielding too, we can always add a
copper layer to it with copper spray paint like Michelle's 3D printed
antennas (as long as we flame treat the HDPE first).

I'll see what NASA has to say in a few weeks at the EPP electronics
workshop in a few weeks. Meanwhile, my boss (Karsten) has a pretty good
video about radiation on the moon with EEVBlog: https://youtu.be/7JwNmdV2QPs

-Jordan
KF5COQ