[Ground-station] FCC Comment

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Mon Jul 9 17:38:57 PDT 2018

Tom,

I've only briefly looked over the AMSAT and ARRL comments so far, they
deserve more attention than I can give today.

Good for AMSAT in suggesting that the experiment data be made public.
Unfortunately I think this creates a conflict for the researchers, which I
discuss in the ORI comment at 2.2.2 .

IMO, ARRL misses the boat when they broadly state that most university
projects are, or should be, admissible under Amateur regulations. In a
perfect world, they would be. However, that world probably ended with the
passage of the Bayh Dole act in 1980. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayh%E2%80%93Dole_Act

We could ask these questions and come to a completely different answer
regarding the non-profit nature of the research.

Is the research carried out in cooperation with a commercial partner?
Is there an agreement to grant a company proprietary rights upon the
results of the research, in exchange for that company allowing use of
patented technology in the research?
Will the technology transfer policy of the university encourage transfer of
monopoly rights to a single company or a few companies?
Are the researchers encouraged to file patents? Are they offered financial
incentives for doing so?
Will the resulting papers be published in an expensive journal rather than
an open-access journal?

Tom, I would hazard a guess that you would be under restrictions like the
above in academia today, and that McGwier is under some.

    Thanks

    Bruce

--
Bruce Perens K6BP - CEO, Legal Engineering
Standards committee chair, license review committee member, co-founder,