[Ground-station] Call for discussion: ORI satellite program

Phil Karn karn at ka9q.net
Mon Apr 23 16:20:47 PDT 2018

On 4/23/18 12:55, Robert McGwier wrote:
> Well Phil, I can tell you there that you are not completely accurate.
>
> At the 30th anniversary of Smallsat in Utah they honored the attendees
> who are credited with much of the earliest smallsat work.  2500 people
> honored the roll we played in the industry.

First I remember hearing about that. I haven't been to Utah yet, only
Cal Poly. When was that?

> Jan, Gordon, Martin, Bob Twiggs and they made a mistake and included me
> (Microsat) and you and Tom would have been included had you attended and
> we sat at the honorees table.

I don't think anybody told me...

I did see Bob Twiggs at Cal Poly two years ago. I kidded him by saying
that when I first heard of his "cubesat" idea I thought it was a kludge,
a gimmick. He said "I did too!"

> If you want to argue that AMSAT is not on the leading edge of technology
> now in space, there you won't get an argument.

Yeah. What have we done *lately*? The Fox-1 series is, quite frankly, an
embarrassment. One 1U cubesat after another, and all they do is repeat
one analog FM channel "because that's what the members want". Poorly,
since FM is the worst possible choice for random multiple access.

I've seen the Youtube videos of people talking through it with HTs
connected to hand-held yagis. I doubt they're going to impress very many
young people used to smartphones.

Phil