[Ground-station] Call for discussion: ORI satellite program

Michelle Thompson mountain.michelle at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 10:14:36 PDT 2018

When I was actively promoting AMSAT at academic conferences over the past
couple of years (IEEE, etc) I found out several things.

First. There are plenty of examples of great CubeSat work. There's enough
CubeSat engineering (open source) that has been figured out and tested in
orbit to where the starting point is significantly past where AMSAT
engineering seemed to be assuming it is. Phil is exactly right in that you
can buy or build from published work everything, at this point, to make a
pretty advanced CubeSat. You integrate whatever special job you want it to
do, and then get in line with everyone else for the paperwork trail. Basic
CubeSats are either a solved problem, or rapidly approaching one. They are
viewed almost like a commodity now, and the biggest area of work for many
of these academics is formation flying. Even constellations are old hat.
The number of predicted commercial launches over the next two years is
significant. The number of educational and science missions is projected to
be flat. That means that as a fraction of launches, educational and
scientific missions will experience additional pressure. Unless the number
of launches rapidly increases, that is. That may be why you are seeing
things like the DARPA rapid response launch challenge.

I'm on record about what I think should happen on the space side with the
QEX article I wrote with Howie DeFelice in late 2017, and I haven't changed
my mind since then. Don't wait for a launch to build. Network your butt off
and find out where you might fit. Be opportunistic.

Another surprising thing I found is that no one in the US academic scene
had any idea of who AMSAT was. This was not the case at all for the
European and Asian and South American professors/industry people that
presented work where amateur radio was incorporated and highlighted. They
knew who their AMSAT-XX people were, often by name. This was a big source
of concern to me because it meant AMSAT-NA appeared to be isolated and cut
off from some of the exact people that the amateur service is supposed to
be serving. Zach wrote a very good email recently about his views of his
potential role to operate for educational reasons and his ambitions to
carry this function out.

Asking around industry and labs in the US, I didn't get a different result.
Most people I talked to were surprised that amateur radio was still around
as an experimental force - like, surprised it still existed at all - and
were really surprised that we had a satellite service.

One of the functions of an organization is to market ideas and raise
awareness and enable collaboration across structured groups. I believe that
there's a lot of work to be done to show the value and achievements of
amateur radio in space to US based academic, scientific, and educational
institutions. It's something we can help with a little bit as ORI, but
can't solve. This is a problem really better addressed by an organization
like AMSAT. We're not a replacement for AMSAT. We were created to be a
member society specializing in open source digital work. This work was
judged to not be a priority at this time. The work should go on with
whoever does value it, and we should remain open to potential future
support from AMSAT.

My goal is to get a world-class DVB-S2/X implemented and working for both
terrestrial and space. I'm all in on this and will do my best.

-Michelle W5NYV

"Potestatem obscuri lateris nescis."