[Ground-station] Balloon Launch - experiments?

Zach Leffke zleffke at vt.edu
Sun Apr 22 21:45:39 PDT 2018

What are you talking about Kent......you're a ham!

I'd wager a dollar or two that YOU can build a CP antenna at 5.66GHz!

hint hint........nudge nudge.........there's a particular
need........and a member of the list with a particular capability.......

:-)

Assuming of course that we actually need CP on the payload....that was
just a thought..........if not though and we are linear on the payload,
and we have linear beacons on the ground......cross pol issues could
arise with the changing geometry/attitude of the payload and we wouldn't
know on the ground which way to 'twist' the beacon antenna......

Though that brings up another idea.....................

completely different idea.....slightly more advanced..........fly a B210
with dual synchronized receive capability......each rx chain connected
to its own linear antenna and the two antennas mounted 90 deg
offset...........Each receive chain would dump IQ to its own capture
file.  With a reference beacon on the ground that could be used to
calibrate out the random UHD phase offset that happens each time the
flowgraph is started.......we could get all 4 polarizations.  Each
receive chain would dump IQ to its own capture file.........and with the
phase offset calibrated out from the ground beacon........could combine
the two signals in software with +/- 90 deg offset to generate RHCP/LHCP
in post processing.

Net result.......would get half as much record time (or would need
larger SSDs).....but would get 4 polarizations worth of collect / RF
survey of the uplink band........

The antennas would have to be more than just a pair of dipoles though
right?  Axial ratio would degrade off nadir vector assuming the 'crossed
dipole' is pointed at nadir.  Same goes for an eggbeater.......so not
sure what the right elements would be for this......maybe the inverse
idea.......a quadrafilar helix on each rx chain......one RHCP/one
LHCP.......combined in software to produce H and V?  I think the QFHA
maintain better circularity at the 'horizon' (90 deg off nadir)......but
then someone would have to build two CP antennas.........

That was really my last comment for the night.......fun stuff....but I
need to go to bed!

-Zach, KJ4QLP

Research Associate
Aerospace Systems Lab
Ted & Karyn Hume Center for National Security & Technology
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
Work Phone: 540-231-4174
Cell Phone: 540-808-6305